I recently picked up the FX book and wanted to do a quick mock run of all the plugin development cycle. In other words: RackAFX prototyping, ASPiK export (for VST only), CMake on the exported files, and generated a .vst3 filed after compiling the solution file.
I tested it with a extremely simple volume plugin in Reaper. Worked perfectly well.
I went ahead and tested it in my DAW of preference, FL Studio and I am having issues there. FL Studio is able to recognized the plugin on both VST3 and VST2 format (.dll). On both cases it does not load on the mixer. I am afraid FL studio might have black-listed it? What other explanation could there be if the plugin works on Reaper but not on FL Studio? (Both on Windows)
Presumptively, FL Studio flagged the plugin with an 'ok' status, it knows the plugin is a VST3 plugin and 64 bits.
Some insight: When trying to load the plugin, FL Studio comes back saying: "The Fruity Wrapper plugin has caused a critical error while loading its state. ...."
From FL Studio Website:
The Wrapper is a software interface/layer between instrument / effect plugins and FL Studio. All controls are common to all plugins (FL native & VST), while the plugin options (7) only appear on Wrappers hosting VST format plugins. The Wrapper provides compatibility with the VST 1, 2 & 3 standards (the screenshot below demonstrates the Fruity Wrapper hosting the 'Drumaxx' VSTi plugin). More information on installing and using 3rd party VST/DX plugins here.
There is a native and a VST wrapper, FL Studio automatically selects the appropriate Wrapper depending on the plugin type loaded.
My take on this is that FL Studio is trying to wrap the VST3 to VST2 and fails along the way.
When doing this as a DLL (VST2) it simply returns "Something went wrong loading the VST plugin VolPluginVST2."
Hmm - I agree that there is a VST2 wrapper in between the plugin and FL Studio (I actually think that Reaper does it the other way around).
ASPiK does not create VST2 plugins so it is impossible to see the DLL any other way than as a .VST3
Have you tried debugging the plugin in FL Studio? If you start at the constructor you should be able to see exactly where it faults. The message is really non-conclusive.
Also was this Mac or Windows? Was this the latest version of ASPiK and RackAFX?
I will have a look but I am working on a new ASPiK release right now. If you could find the function then that would be a big help.
FYI: I did find an issue with the Mac version of FL studio and I would suspect the same thing would happen on Windows. This did not happen with the previous version of FL Studio which I used to test ASPiK 1.6.3. That issue is now fixed and involved the Factory Presets.
Have you compiled the VST3 SDK Sample Projects? I always recommend doing that before trying any framework and I have a YouTube video on doing that.
In FL Studio, most of the VST3 SDK sample plugins have no GUI (all of the MDA- marked ones) and none of them have any kind of Presets. Also, if you check:
you can find DAW-specific bug reports and issues.
In the process of testing the new Preset code, I found an issue with Studio One that I am currently working to fix (interestingly, Presets but not due to changes for FL Studio).
If it sounds like a pain in the butt to have to test every DAW, you are right! And, with each new DAW release, something often breaks or goes missing and this plagues all plugin frameworks the same way.
I finally got it working!! After multiple iterations and trying different things. Debugging the plugin within FL Studio did not show any obvious failure from the plugin. I also compiled the sample projects and they were all working perfectly well.
I went ahead and updated my version of RackAFX to 188.8.131.52 (it was 184.108.40.206), created another volume plugin, exported as ASPiK project and generated the VST3. At this point it started working.
I am not sure what I may have missed before. It's particularly strange because it was working on Reaper all the time but not on FL Studio.
anyway, if this may help future readers, what ended helping me was generating a fresh RackAFX project after updating to 220.127.116.11. I am willing to believe something different,
Thanks for the support!
The problem had to do with the way the FL Studio VST2 wrapper treated the VST3 preset mechanism. This could only be fixed in the vst3plugin.cpp file which is a core "api-shell" file in the ASPiK SDK so you needed to either update to SDK1.6.5 or do what you did which was to use the latest RackAFX to do the export.
As a patch, you could also have replaced the vst3plugin.cpp and .h files in the vst_source subfolder of your old project, with the current files.
In any event, glad you are up and running.
I completely sympathize, I was highly involved on checking for compatibility on my previous job as audio tester. If I can help in some meaningful way, please let me know. I could check compatibility with newer versions of the SDK, at least for the VST3 ones (FL Studio, Reaper, etc). Happy to provide value to the software.
Most Users Ever Online: 152
Currently Browsing this Page:
Guest Posters: 1
Newest Members:Jas, Rowan, sojourn, fabhenr, rg1, Niklas, Wutru, Tim Campbell, Danny Jonel, Valentin
Moderators: W Pirkle: 573
Administrators: Tom: 74, JD Young: 80, Will Pirkle: 0, W Pirkle: 573, VariableCook: 3