Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
2019 Visual Studio install packages
Adekoya Adams
Members
July 10, 2020 - 8:43 am
Forum Posts: 6
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hello!

so I got Boot Camp to work and I had to install Visual Studio to compile the code....noob question and apologies in advance if this is stated elsewhere...

which of these additional bundles do I need to install? 

I am asking because I’m out in a remote area and my phone is the modem. If I select everything I watch this puppy balloon to 40 gigs. 

I can install all the modules piecemeal in the future, I suppose...but what is the bare minimum?

thanks in advance and I got the second publication of audio effects and it is just as good as the first.

W Pirkle
Admin
July 12, 2020 - 2:51 pm
Forum Posts: 470

Hello

For RackAFX, you need the Visual C++ component of Visual Studio. The AAX and VST3 plugins need Visual Studio as well, and for VST3 you need VS2017 or VS2019.

I am not sure if they entail anything else, but they all need the normal standard library (std::) and the other C++ stuff. You don't need Java or visual basic...

Will 

Adekoya Adams
Members
July 12, 2020 - 11:56 pm

W Pirkle said
Hello

For RackAFX, you need the Visual C++ component of Visual Studio. The AAX and VST3 plugins need Visual Studio as well, and for VST3 you need VS2017 or VS2019.

I am not sure if they entail anything else, but they all need the normal standard library (std::) and the other C++ stuff. You don't need Java or visual basic...

Will   

Ok thanks I think I got everything installed right. Also thanks again for pointing out on another thread that it was important to start with the audio effects book. I’m grateful to have this in book format and the first chapter is deep but digestible. I was also pleasantly surprised to learn that the addendum to the audio effects book was almost 300 pages long. Just amazing and it’s good to finally have a real genuine hardcore textbook from somebody who “gets it” regarding this subject matter. I will probably have many more questions but congratulations on making what will one day be considered a classic text. Much appreciated.

W Pirkle
Admin
July 13, 2020 - 8:58 am

Thanks, and please let everyone know about the Vacuum Tube addendum. That material is missing from the book and is important!

Will

Adekoya Adams
Members
July 13, 2020 - 10:57 am

W Pirkle said
Thanks, and please let everyone know about the Vacuum Tube addendum. That material is missing from the book and is important!

Will  

I woke up in a puddle of drool reading about it last night on my iPad . It’s amazing and I will let people know.

is there any chance you might write a third textbook on sequencers and automation stratagems?

i would buy it with a quickness.

W Pirkle
Admin
July 15, 2020 - 5:38 pm

There will probably be a sequencer module for the new Synth Book but it will not be as detailed as you would like because there isn't enough room in the new book. I am limited on text. 

For more theory, I always assign the Duncan Combinatorial Music Theory AES Paper as a project for my advanced synthesis class, for those who want to do some really outer-limits sequencing (this is all on the theory side, not C++ code). You can find a website version of the original paper here (the full AES paper from 1991 is classic and easier to read).

http://andrewduncan.net/cmt/

I had a couple of students to a pretty cool multi-zone track-pad using the methods from the paper on rotation, translation, etc... 

Will 

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 152

Currently Online:
4 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Skyler: 48

Derek: 46

Frodson: 45

Peter: 43

TheSmile: 43

clau_ste: 39

Chaes: 37

JimmyM: 33

Gwen: 32

jim: 27

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 1

Members: 649

Moderators: 1

Admins: 4

Forum Stats:

Groups: 13

Forums: 40

Topics: 696

Newest Members:

Alex, oneday, Phelan Kane, audiocoder, agel, Makai, Abyz, Nonlinear, IgorVish, Arjuna

Moderators: W Pirkle: 470

Administrators: Tom: 74, JD Young: 80, Will Pirkle: 0, W Pirkle: 470