Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Compilation Errors VS 16 2019
Paris Stam
Thessaloniki, Greece
Members
March 10, 2020 - 6:52 am
Forum Posts: 2
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I'm getting these two compiler error when trying to build my solution, any help would be appreciated. I'm using Visual Studio 16 2019 version.

//error 1:
Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
Error C1189 #error: The <experimental/filesystem> header providing std::experimental::filesystem is deprecated by Microsoft and will be REMOVED. It is superseded by the C++17 <filesystem> header providing std::filesystem. You can define _SILENCE_EXPERIMENTAL_FILESYSTEM_DEPRECATION_WARNING to acknowledge that you have received this warning. validator (Validator\validator) C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Enterprise\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.24.28314\include\experimental\filesystem 30

//error 2:

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
Error MSB3073 The command "setlocal
cd C:\ALL_SDK\myprojects\Eq1\win_build\bin\Debug
if %errorlevel% neq 0 goto :cmEnd
C:
C:\ALL_SDK\myprojects\Eq1\win_build\bin\Debug\Debug\validator.exe C:/ALL_SDK/myprojects/Eq1/win_build/VST3/Debug/Eq1_VST.vst3/Contents/x86_64-win/Eq1_VST.vst3
:cmEnd
endlocal & call :cmErrorLevel %errorlevel% & goto :cmDone
:cmErrorLevel
exit /b %1
:cmDone
if %errorlevel% neq 0 goto :VCEnd
setlocal
"C:\Program Files\CMake\bin\cmake.exe" -E copy C:/ALL_SDK/myprojects/Eq1/project_source/cmake/vst_cmake/../../resources/PluginGUI.uidesc C:/ALL_SDK/myprojects/Eq1/win_build/VST3/Debug/Eq1_VST.vst3/Contents/Resources
exit /b %1
setlocal
"C:\Program Files\CMake\bin\cmake.exe" -E copy C:/ALL_SDK/VST_SDK/VST3_SDK/doc/artwork/VST_Logo_Steinberg.ico C:/ALL_SDK/myprojects/Eq1/win_build/VST3/Debug/Eq1_VST.vst3/PlugIn.ico
"C:\Program Files\CMake\bin\cmake.exe" -E copy C:/ALL_SDK/VST_SDK/VST3_SDK/cmake/modules/../templates/desktop.ini.in C:/ALL_SDK/myprojects/Eq1/win_build/VST3/Debug/Eq1_VST.vst3/desktop.ini
attrib +s C:/ALL_SDK/myprojects/Eq1/win_build/VST3/Debug/Eq1_VST.vst3/desktop.ini
attrib +s C:/ALL_SDK/myprojects/Eq1/win_build/VST3/Debug/Eq1_VST.vst3/PlugIn.ico
attrib +s C:/ALL_SDK/myprojects/Eq1/win_build/VST3/Debug/Eq1_VST.vst3
exit /b %1
:VCEnd" exited with code 9009. Eq1_VST C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Enterprise\MSBuild\Microsoft\VC\v160\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets 149

Also when configuring the project with cmake I get this message in the end:

"Could NOT find EXPAT (missing: EXPAT_LIBRARY EXPAT_INCLUDE_DIR)

VSTGUI will use the embedded Expat package!

Configuration done"

W Pirkle
Admin
March 13, 2020 - 10:58 am
Forum Posts: 573

First, the current supported VST3 SDK is 3.6.14 which I am assuming you have. It also looks like you have created a new project here - have you tried compiling the sample code first? I always compile the samples across Win and Mac for all APIs just before releasing any new SDK so you might want to always start with a sample first. As for your errors:

1. the last warning about EXPAT is from VST3 and you can ignore it. 

2. the second error is the VST Validator failing 

3. the first error is causing the Validator to not compile, which is producing the second error.

This is what I did to test the ASPiK SDK 1.6.4 sample project DemoVolumePlugin with VST3 SDK 3.6.14 with a note at the end about your error #1. 

I am using Win10 and VS 2019 16.4.2

After setting up the VST3 SDK according to the ASPiK docs, creating the myprojects subfolder and placing the vstgui4 subfolder within that. Then:

1. copied the DemoVolumePlugin into the myprojects folder

2. edit the CMakeLists.txt file to setup for VST3 and NON universal build

# --- Universal Build Flag - when using combined SDKs; can still build independently with individual flags below
set(UNIVERSAL_SDK_BUILD FALSE) # <-- set TRUE or FALSE # --- Individual project builds

set(AAX_SDK_BUILD FALSE)# <-- set TRUE or FALSE

set(AU_SDK_BUILD FALSE)# <-- set TRUE or FALSE

set(VST_SDK_BUILD TRUE)# <-- set TRUE or FALSE

3. Ran CMake:

cmake -G"Visual Studio 16 2019" ../

You can ignore the messaage about EXPAT (this comes from VST3, NOT ASPiK)

The success of CMake is indicated here:

Build files have been written to: C:/ALL_SDK/VST_SDK/VST3_SDK/myprojects/DemoVolumePlugin/win_build

4. open win_build/DemoVolumePlugin.sln with Visual Studio 2019 16.4.2

5. Build -> Rebuild ALL_BUILD

My build was successful, and the validator ran, and the file was written into the vst3 plugin bundle correctly. Here is what it looks like in VS 2019 v16

Image Enlarger

So, the sample code compiles correctly and the plugin is created. 

Now as for your first error, I have never seen this before. I did a google search and found that it was from the include shown in your error. I searched the VST3 library, and found the #include inside of the ..\VST_SDK\VST3_SDK\public.sdk\source\vst\hosting\module_win32.cpp

This file is used in the validator application. I found the offending code at line 44 in the module_win32.cpp file, BUT notice the #define before it:

// The <experimental/filesystem> header is deprecated. It is superseded by the C++17 <filesystem> header.

// You can define _SILENCE_EXPERIMENTAL_FILESYSTEM_DEPRECATION_WARNING to silence the warning,

// otherwise the build will fail in VS2019 16.3.0

#define _SILENCE_EXPERIMENTAL_FILESYSTEM_DEPRECATION_WARNING

#include <experimental/filesystem>

------------

The #define _SILENCE_EXPERIMENTAL_FILESYSTEM_DEPRECATION_WARNING eliminates the error you are seeing.

When I removed this #define, my Validator compile failed with the same error as yours. But, this line of code should not be removed, and arrives intact within the VST3 SDK 3.6.14 product. 

Are you using the correct VST3 SDK?

Will 

Paris Stam
Thessaloniki, Greece
Members
March 16, 2020 - 5:22 pm
Forum Posts: 2

I was using VST3 SDK 3.6.12 so I suppose that was my fault that made the compilation failed. I downloaded the latest version and everything works fine. Thank you for your response, your explanation was really useful anyway.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 152

Currently Online:
5 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Chaes: 51

Skyler: 48

Derek: 46

Frodson: 45

Peter: 43

TheSmile: 43

clau_ste: 39

jim: 34

JimmyM: 33

Gwen: 32

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 1

Members: 697

Moderators: 1

Admins: 5

Forum Stats:

Groups: 13

Forums: 41

Topics: 757

Newest Members:

Mistahbrock, Jas, Rowan, sojourn, fabhenr, rg1, Niklas, Wutru, Tim Campbell, Danny Jonel

Moderators: W Pirkle: 573

Administrators: Tom: 74, JD Young: 80, Will Pirkle: 0, W Pirkle: 573, VariableCook: 3