Hey Will... First of all; amazing books!
So, I'm getting quite a lot of errors when making the first test build in NanoSynth (the one for testing the midi... yyyeeep). Most of them referred to unresolved external symbols and mismatch detected (I have them in a .txt file if you would like to take a look) and I don't know if I installed something wrong or something fucked up when updating VS or in the configuration of either VS or RackAFX.
When I tried making effects following the Designing Audio Effects... book I didn't had this problems, so I'm kinda lost here in what could it be.
Needless to say I'm quite a noob at this, so I don't know how to lookup for this kind of errors or even know what they mean.
Updated RackAFX to latest version, did the same with the VST3 sdk, linked VS2015 Community (I believe that's where the problem was, the old RAFX didn't have VS2015 in the checkmarks but it opened there regardless...), now it compiles without a problem... Anyone could share any light on it so I'm sure what it was?... assume is either what I mentioned or something with the sdk?
By latest version do you mean v126.96.36.199 or the new Beta version?
Also, I'd need to see your txt printout of the errors to try to shed light on that, however, the Synth Book projects should work properly with v3.6.0, 3.6.5 of the SDK, you just have to make sure you have the proper one set in View->Preferences. v3.6.6 is now supported in the Beta version of RAFX (they made a bunch of changes to VSTGUI4.3 that broke a lot of older code).
The version I was running was v6.5.16, and the SDK v3.6.5.
By latest I mean v188.8.131.52 and sdk v3.6.6 (RackAFX pointing to 3.6.5 // I guess I will replace the sdk so that it matches the version pointed out, but as for now is working).
here is the link to the .txt file:
The reason this had errors is that the version of RackAFX that Ariel was using did not support VS2015 (though you could still open it properly by checking the VS2013 box). For completeness I will explain - ultimately, the problem is not in RackAFX itself, but rather the .lib your plugin links with that transforms it into a valid VST2/3 DLL as needed.
The issue is that the VST3 SDK (and VSTGUI4) both use the std:: library. Unfortunately, the std:: library has a different binary for every version of Visual Studio, as well as the Debug and Release modes within each VS version. So, each time a new Visual Studio comes out, I have to recompile two new libraries to support it - one for VS2xxx release and the other for VS2xxx debug, then add them to RackAFX so that it can properly copy the new libraries into your project folder as required. AFAIK, this is a Visual Studio issue; I do not think it happens in XCode on MacOS though I've not done much research into that.
Most Users Ever Online: 152
Currently Browsing this Page:
Guest Posters: 1
Newest Members:Jas, Rowan, sojourn, fabhenr, rg1, Niklas, Wutru, Tim Campbell, Danny Jonel, Valentin
Moderators: W Pirkle: 573
Administrators: Tom: 74, JD Young: 80, Will Pirkle: 0, W Pirkle: 573, VariableCook: 3