Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Error message "9>LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file '(...)win_buildVST3DebugVolume_ClientGUI_U_VST.vst3'
Matt
Members
July 20, 2018 - 3:03 pm
Forum Posts: 8
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hi all, hi Will!

First of all, thanks so much Will for all the marvellous stuff you're doing, the fantastic effort, and providing the tools and knowledge for free 🙂 Pure awesomeness!

I'm just starting out with RackAFX, and I run into the following problem when trying to build my VST-exported solution. In my build log, it says:

"(...)
9>LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'C:\Users\Matt\Documents\RackAFX\Projects\SDKs\myprojects\Volume_ClientGUI_U\win_build\VST3\Debug\Volume_ClientGUI_U_VST.vst3'
9>Done building project "Volume_ClientGUI_U_VST.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
10>------ Rebuild All started: Project: ALL_BUILD, Configuration: Debug x64 ------
10>Building Custom Rule C:/Users/Matt/Documents/RackAFX/Projects/SDKs/myprojects/Volume_ClientGUI_U/CMakeLists.txt
10>CMake does not need to re-run because C:/Users/Matt/Documents/RackAFX/Projects/SDKs/myprojects/Volume_ClientGUI_U/win_build/CMakeFiles/generate.stamp is up-to-date.
========== Rebuild All: 9 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped =========="

Upon closer inspection of the "file" name, it turns out that C:\Users\Matt\Documents\RackAFX\Projects\SDKs\myprojects\Volume_ClientGUI_U\win_build\VST3\Debug\Volume_ClientGUI_U_VST.vst3 isn't a file, but a DIRECTORY, containing a "Contents" directory, which in turn contains a "Resources" directory, which is empty.

That's all I know.

Now, as a caveat: I have been a programmer for decades, but I am completely new to C++ as well as cmake and Visual Studio.

Is this something you can help me with?

Any help appreciated!

🙂

Matt.

dspstudent
Members
July 20, 2018 - 4:58 pm
Forum Posts: 2

Oh what a coincidence, have been having the same problem and been trying to figure it out all day, anyhow here is part of my output :

21>LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'C:\vstsdk3610_11_06_2018_build_37\VST_SDK\VST3_SDK\myprojects\VST3\Debug\pitchnames.vst3'
21>Done building project "pitchnames.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
20>LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'C:\vstsdk3610_11_06_2018_build_37\VST_SDK\VST3_SDK\myprojects\VST3\Debug
oteexpressiontext.vst3'
20>Done building project "noteexpressiontext.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
16>LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'C:\vstsdk3610_11_06_2018_build_37\VST_SDK\VST3_SDK\myprojects\VST3\Debug\againsimple.vst3'
17>LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'C:\vstsdk3610_11_06_2018_build_37\VST_SDK\VST3_SDK\myprojects\VST3\Debug\helloworldWithVSTGUI.vst3'
16>Done building project "againsimple.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
17>Done building project "helloworldWithVSTGUI.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
19>LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'C:\vstsdk3610_11_06_2018_build_37\VST_SDK\VST3_SDK\myprojects\VST3\Debug
oteexpressionsynth.vst3'
19>Done building project "noteexpressionsynth.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
18>LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'C:\vstsdk3610_11_06_2018_build_37\VST_SDK\VST3_SDK\myprojects\VST3\Debug\hostchecker.vst3'
18>Done building project "hostchecker.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
15>LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'C:\vstsdk3610_11_06_2018_build_37\VST_SDK\VST3_SDK\myprojects\VST3\Debug\again.vst3'
15>Done building project "again.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
22>------ Rebuild All started: Project: ALL_BUILD, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
========== Rebuild All: 15 succeeded, 7 failed, 0 skipped ==========

I did try it on 2 different PCs running latest VST SDK and latest cmake just freshly installed today, trying to compile on VS 15 2017, I did try installing cmake as x86 and x64 as well as compiling the ALL_BUILD as both x86 & x64 no luck...

Matt
Members
July 20, 2018 - 9:36 pm

dspstudent said
Oh what a coincidence, have been having the same problem and been trying to figure it out all day, anyhow here is part of my output :

21>LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'C:\vstsdk3610_11_06_2018_build_37\VST_SDK\VST3_SDK\myprojects\VST3\Debug\pitchnames.vst3'
21>Done building project "pitchnames.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
20>LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'C:\vstsdk3610_11_06_2018_build_37\VST_SDK\VST3_SDK\myprojects\VST3\Debug
oteexpressiontext.vst3'
20>Done building project "noteexpressiontext.vcxproj" -- FAILED.
(...)
I did try it on 2 different PCs running latest VST SDK and latest cmake just freshly installed today, trying to compile on VS 15 2017, I did try installing cmake as x86 and x64 as well as compiling the ALL_BUILD as both x86 & x64 no luck...  

Hi dspstudent,

All these *.vst3 "files", are they instead directories too, like in my case?

Matt

W Pirkle
Admin
July 21, 2018 - 9:58 am
Forum Posts: 344

Hello

SDK3.6.10 is not supported yet. I will be releasing a new version of RackAFX that supports it sometime after August 15 (I'm working on another book which is due in 10 days and has all my attention). 

In SDK 3.6.10, Steinberg made a fundamental change to the way Windows VST3s are packaged - they are now packaged as Bundles, just like MacOS. In this case, the "Bundle" appears to be a file, but is actually a directory. If you use MacOS, you are familiar with this concept (right click and choose "Show Package Contents" to enter the bundle). 

Please revert back to the 3.6.9 SDK until I can do another RackAFX revision for the new SDK - unfortunately, just about every time Steinberg releases a new SDK, the old code breaks (including their own sample code... sigh), or the compiler settings have changed (so the old "project" breaks while the code is technically OK), or as you have found, they've suddenly changed the way the plugins are packaged. While I appreciate their engineers staying current and doing their best to make the SDK better, it sure does suck for those of us who have to support each new change...

- Will

dspstudent
Members
July 22, 2018 - 8:28 am
Forum Posts: 2

@ Matt, yes exactly the same folders with the .vst3 name ending.

@ Will, hey will you were right, I did try compiling the examples with the older 3.6.9 SDK and is working fine, no errors no weird folders, Thanks again Will you are a star, Im really looking forward for your new book, I imagine will be a great source of knowledge!

@Matt I wasnt able to find any older VST SDKs anywhere on the net and spend most of my morning today looking. Apparently Steinberg does not keep a repository with older versions, then I remembered I did download the SDk few months back when I was going to start with the book but never found the spare time so I dug it up and have it, in case you need it - https://www.sendspace.com/file/ojaxg2

Hope that works for you,

Ivo

Matt
Members
July 22, 2018 - 9:40 am

Hi Will and Ivo,

Many thanks to both of you!

SDK3.6.10 is not supported yet. I will be releasing a new version of RackAFX that supports it sometime after August 15 (I'm working on another book which is due in 10 days and has all my attention).

In SDK 3.6.10, Steinberg made a fundamental change…

First of all: best of luck with the book!

Awesome, this explains it all! I'll be reverting back to 3.6.9 for the time being, so graciously provided by Ivo. Thank you Ivo!!!

…unfortunately, just about every time Steinberg releases a new SDK, the old code breaks (including their own sample code... sigh), or the compiler settings have changed (so the old "project" breaks while the code is technically OK), or as you have found, they've suddenly changed the way the plugins are packaged. While I appreciate their engineers staying current and doing their best to make the SDK better, it sure does suck for those of us who have to support each new change...

Indeed… This sounds quite unprofessional on Steinberg's part, especially given the fact that, as Ivo states:

Apparently Steinberg does not keep a repository with older versions…

And this is a decades-old software company… They should really, really know better…

@Matt I wasnt able to find any older VST SDKs anywhere on the net and spend most of my morning today looking.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/ojaxg2

I am so very grateful, you're amazing. So many people nowadays would just say "oh, just google it", but you went some extra miles… Awesome!

Hope that works for you

I'm sure it will, and I'll let you know!

Thanks again, so much.

Matt.

Matt
Members
July 22, 2018 - 12:19 pm

========== Rebuild All: 10 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 skipped ==========

Awesome, thanks again Will and Ivo!!!

W Pirkle
Admin
August 10, 2018 - 12:56 pm
Forum Posts: 344

FYI: this has been updated in RackAFX 6.9.2.0 and required tweaking one of the CMake files. 

- Will

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 55

Currently Online:
12 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Skyler: 48

Derek: 46

Frodson: 45

Peter: 41

clau_ste: 39

TheSmile: 37

JimmyM: 33

Gwen: 32

EZB: 24

lppier: 23

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 1

Members: 565

Moderators: 1

Admins: 4

Forum Stats:

Groups: 12

Forums: 36

Topics: 581

Newest Members:

frankthetank, dhodgson, Wanderer, mister1234, Evan Galvanek, Rowan Fraser, patrickbarr1984, Ray C., Jon R., Pat

Moderators: W Pirkle: 344

Administrators: Tom: 69, JD Young: 80, Will Pirkle: 0, W Pirkle: 344