Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Windows8/64-bit and VS2013
No permission to create posts
June 10, 2014
10:24 pm
W Pirkle
Admin
Forum Posts: 143
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hi All

Even though RackAFX does not yet support VS2013 directly (update coming this summer) many have found that you can just choose VS2010 or VS2012 from View-Preferences and it still works. This is because the VS project files are all the same XML format.

If you are using Win8/64 and VS2013 then you need to install BOTH the x86 and x64 re-distributables (rather than just the x64 version) only if you are doing a fresh VS install and have never had a previous VS version installed on your machine. It appears that VS2013 no longer installs some of the x86 files that all the previous versions did.

Thanks to book-reader Orlando in Italy for finding this issue. You get the "side by side" error if you do not install the second x86 redist.

- Will

November 27, 2014
4:26 pm
morsoft
Members
Forum Posts: 2

Hi Will,

Just starting with your FX book and installed RackAFX today Version 6.2.7. I'm using Visual Studio Community 2013 on Windows 8.1 Pro.

I got the IDE/compiler working by selecting: 'Visual C++ 2013 Professional Dev Studio' as the default compiler in RackAFX preferences. Worth knowing that this option works - I guess VS Community is more like VS Pro than Express.

So far only tried the SimpleHPF project from chapter 3 - but all looking good. I had to upgrade the project in VS to work with 2013 as it is configured for 2010 - but no problem there.

So all looking good and very impressed by your approach and the book.

I guess would be nice to have an option for VS Community 2013 at some point Smile

Nick

November 28, 2014
8:12 am
W Pirkle
Admin
Forum Posts: 143

Hi Nick

To be honest, I had not heard of VS2013 Community, but thankfully Microsoft have been consistent with the way they have rev-ed the VS project files since VS2010. The only other issue has to do with how RAFX launches the compiler, so it is good to know that VS2013 behaves like Pro. I will add this to the upcoming v6.5 release.

- Will

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 36

Currently Online:
7 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Skyler: 47

Peter: 41

Derek: 41

clau_ste: 39