Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
RackAFX stops running (freezes) when attempting to play an audio file (VS2013 Community+Windows 8 PRo)
No permission to create posts
June 21, 2015
4:52 pm
Yann
Members
Forum Posts: 1
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I am a French student in telecommunication engineering.
First of all I would like to thank you for the opportunity that has been given to me to start practising audio DSP using your software.

I have started to study your FXbook yesterday until I arrived to chapter 3 - Project Volume. After a short contact with the processAudioFrame() function you recommend your reader to make a first sanity check in order to verify if the audio hardware is set up correctly.
- I have compiled the code under VS 2013 Community (Windows 8 Pro) and everything worked great.
- I have loaded the plugin in the RackAFX client
- I have put the RackAFX client in wave file mode (in order to play the default wave file and test the slide button)
- I have used the transport controls to play the file

At this last point RackAFX freezes forcing me to quit it in brute force mode.
After multiple attempts I have decided to re-install the client but it didn't change the issue.
I finally realized that it wasn't possible for me to set up my audio device correctly.
When I set up the Output Device on the proper element a pop up window occurs specifying the following message: "Incorrect parameters" and this for any attempts and combinations I've made so far.

I wonder if you could give me some help? Actually I'd really like to proceed and focus on your book.

Thank you!

June 22, 2015
12:52 am
W Pirkle
Admin
Forum Posts: 143
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Typically this is a windows audio driver issue, when using either ASIO drivers, or drivers that are specialized to your hardware. The freezing is because the audio buffer pointers are NULL - RackAFX requests buffers of audio, and the driver is returning NULL. Currently, RackAFX only supports divers that adhere to the generic Microsoft WDM API, and not ASIO or hardware specific drivers.

Make sure to choose the Microsoft Sound Mapper, or a true WDM driver in Audio/MIDI -- Setup Audio Devices for both input and output.

I also use Visual Studio 2013 on Win8.1 64-bit with no audio issues.

I need to add a check for these NULL pointers to warn the user there is something wrong with the audio driver selection and prevent the freezing/crash.

- Will

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 36

Currently Online:
5 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Skyler: 47

Peter: 41

Derek: 41

clau_ste: 39