Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Unhandled exception at 0x086DBFBF (plsWorkReverb.dll) in RackAFX.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000.
No permission to create posts
April 6, 2014
2:32 am
stokesbga
Members
Forum Posts: 2
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I'm building the reverb project. Everything is word for word THE same in the book. Everytime I build and load. But once I press PLAY to test with the my audio sample,  I get this error:

Unhandled exception at 0x086DBFBF (plsWorkReverb.dll) in RackAFX.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000.

What the ...

Thanks guys, its making me insane.

April 6, 2014
6:08 pm
W Pirkle
Admin
Forum Posts: 143

Appears you are using a NULL pointer or something isn't initialiazed; since it happens at play-time, then it is in processAudioFrame(). I would go into the debugger and place a breakpoint in processAudioFrame() and step through until you hit the line of code that is crashing - should be obvious. In less than a minute you will know what line is causing the crash. Without debugging, all you can do is guess, compile and pray. For a tutorial on debugging, scroll to the bottom of the video tutorial page here:

http://www.willpirkle.com/supp.....tutorials/

the very last video at the bottom shows how to debug another common problem where you have a faulty constructor and it crashes during construction time. Just move your area of focus to processAudioFrame() and you'll find it.

Also, you can download the code for all the book projects from the Downloads page and you can check against that code. But you should debug first to find out where the fault occurs. 

- Will

April 7, 2014
1:08 am
stokesbga
Members
Forum Posts: 2

Hey Will,

Thanks so much for the quick help.

After checking the solution against your code, I found no differences, so I tried opening your entire reverb project and I got the same error. RackAFX stops working and gives the option to run the debugger which is where I get that error. 

Could it be VS2012?

Thanks, 

Alex

April 7, 2014
1:50 am
W Pirkle
Admin

Wow! OK, let me check the download-code; no one has mentioned this and I know a ton of people who are using that reverb. The version of Visual Studio doesn't matter. But you should still try to debug this yourself to find out why (I'll be doing the same thing, but not sure when).

- Will

April 7, 2014
2:49 am
W Pirkle
Admin

Hi Alex

I downloaded the code from the Projects page and it compiles and runs fine in both Visual Studio 2008 and Visual Studio 2012 - no errors or faults. I am on Win7 though most of my students are on Win8 and running the reverb project. So, I am not sure where your problem lies though the error message indicates trying to use a NULL pointer or accessing a delay line that does not exist (most reverb components are made of delay lines). You will need to debug and find the line that's breaking for you. If you let me know which line in processAudioFrame breaks the reverb, let me know and I can try to shed light on it. Did you compile and run the code from my website or just do a visual comparison? Also, I am assuming you've built other projects from the book and they run fine? The reverb is a pretty complex one to take on as a first project.

- Will

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 36

Currently Online:
4 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Skyler: 47

Peter: 41

Derek: 41

clau_ste: 39